Getting Used to a New Size (Or How I Need to Stop Buying 30D Bras)

When I first heard about this phenomenon, I didn't really understand why people who have found their correct size after wearing a lifetime of improperly-sized bras would have a hard time accepting the new size.  Better fit, better support, who wouldn't embrace this, especially if you've embarked on the journey of seeking out the new size yourself?  However, after my size unexpectedly changed from 28DD/30D in December to my new size of 28E/30DD, I've found myself in a similar state of denial.

Years of wearing too-small cups have trained my eye to think that bra cups should look a certain way on my frame.  When I get a new bra in the mail in my new size, I am frequently surprised at how large the cups look on the flat.  When checking the measurements, I am concerned about the increased cup depth and height.  "This can't possibly fit, can it?" goes through my mind when I approach a new bra, but then of course, it fits.  This issue is compounded by the fact that due to my shape (I've recently discovered that my wide roots are actually quite tall rather than having FOB/shallow on top shape), I usually fit best in a cup depth that is actually deeper than my larger breast perimeter.

Still, I find myself thinking that Panache 30Ds run big, and I can't fit their 30DD, so I might as well try the 30D.  That Parfait Charlotte in 28E is just a little too large, so why not snag the 30D I recently found on sale?  No.  Just NO.  Now that I see how a proper 28E fits on my body, I can tell that the 30Ds are all too big in the band and too small all around in the cup.  They may not be small enough to cause obvious fit issues, as in the case of Cleo Marcie and Lucy, which appear passable until you actually compare them to the right size.  The fit is like night and day, going from simply passable to "this fit is perfect!"

I've picked up 4 30D bras this month, and have finally concluded this is no longer the right size for me.  5.5" cup heights are no longer terrifying, and I need the longer wires from larger sizes, or the feeling of narrow wires pressing on side tissue is obvious.  Still, I am having trouble adjusting to this knowledge--it took me days and intense deliberation to place an order for 4 Comexim bras this weekend in size 60H even though I knew the 60G I have that "fits" feels a half size too small and I wasn't perfectly happy with it, because despite the measurements and fit telling me I needed to size up, everyone else who fits into the next size is normally at least a 28F/FF.

Learning to wear the right size comes with learning to trust yourself and trust your body, not numbers and labels and preconceived notions.  Once you accept that bra sizes are just a number, it's easier to get down to the core of the matter: that a properly fit bra is one that feels right and provides the right support, no matter what the label says.

Comments